It’s Tournament Time and I Miss My Friend

1935271_large

Some say that basketball is just a game. This is true. However, that game has the power to move people to tears, evoke unbridled joy, bring friends, teammates and even strangers together and create heart-warming memories that last a lifetime.

The 2003 championship game of the NCAA Tournament between Syracuse and Kansas left an indelible impression on me. I watched it with my friend Gary. In a sense, we were like millions of other basketball fans around the country taking in the game with their buddies, but it felt different. Gary was sick.

In March of that year, doctors found a cancerous tumor in his brain. They removed as much as they could and Gary underwent radiation treatment. The outlook was bleak, but you would not have known it from his demeanor.

My friend refused to let the tumor or the fatigue caused by radiation slow him down. He had too much living to do. Gary reconnected with old friends, went to ballgames, attended cultural events and inspired his friends and family with his optimism and enthusiasm.

Gary and I met as students at the University of Michigan. I knew early on that there was something special about him. He was a passionate person who loved people and experienced life on a deeper level than most. We were friends, but not extremely close. That changed when he got sick.

Barriers melt away when a person is facing death. There were no secrets between us. No need to put on airs. We talked about life, love, death and friendship in ways I never had before.

In early April, he invited me over to watch the Syracuse-Kansas game. I distinctly remember being depressed on my way to his parents’ house. I was worried about my friend and sad that he and his family had to deal with such a horrible illness. The night played out like every other time I visited Gary during that period: I was intent on lifting his spirits, but inevitably he lifted mine.

He greeted me at the door with a big hug and a sparkle in his eyes. Gary wore his emotions on his sleeve and I could see that he was excited about something. “Have you seen this freshman Carmelo Anthony on Syracuse” he asked, “He is unbelievable. He can shoot, post up, pass. And he’s just a freshman.”

I was surprised by his enthusiasm for Anthony and the Syracuse team. Gary preferred the NBA to college basketball. It was one of the things we had in common. We shared a devotion to the New York Knicks.

I told him I knew of Anthony, but admitted that I had not seen him play very much. That made Gary even more excited. He knew I was a big hoops fan and could not wait to share the experience of watching Anthony with me.

Gary’s father Mario watched the game with us. We shared laughs and enjoyed great basketball. The game went down to the wire and Syracuse pulled out an 82-78 victory. Anthony scored 21 points despite a sore back and every time he did something special Gary smiled at me, as if to say “I told you so.” Anthony was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player.

Gary and I hung out together several more times over the next six weeks. He joked about his hair falling out and shared his deepest fears. His spirits were high. He was enjoying life and remained optimistic about his future.

Shortly after Memorial Day I received a phone call from a mutual friend informing me that Gary had slipped into a coma. He passed away on October 1. It broke my heart.

I recently watched the latest film from ESPN’s 30 for 30 series, “Survive and Advance” about the miraculous 1983 NC State basketball team and their coach Jim Valvano, who waged his own courageous battle against cancer. In the film, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski referred to the period when Valvano was sick as “four of the most beautiful months I’ve ever had of friendship with anyone.” That is how I feel about Gary.

I still think about my friend often. Little things trigger memories, like driving past Mario’s Pizzeria in Syosset or hearing certain Grateful Dead songs. I thought about how excited he would have been when Carmelo was traded to our beloved Knicks, and he is always on my mind when the former Syracuse star has a big game.

However, I think about Gary most often during the NCAA Tournament. I am still moved by the thought of that 24-year-old with so much to be fearful of and angry about receiving so much joy from a basketball game.

Ten years later, Syracuse is back in the Final Four. But Gary would not be pulling for the Orange this time around. They are facing our Michigan Wolverines. I can imagine him gushing over Trey Burke the way he once did about Carmelo. It makes me smile. Thinking about Gary always does.

About these ads

14 Responses to “It’s Tournament Time and I Miss My Friend”

1. 1 foot soak to remove toxins September 18, 2014 at 11:37 pm

I’m really loving the theme/design of your website.

Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog readers have complained about my site
    not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.
    Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

2. 2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=PrV_bFMV6aM May 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm

There’s a very simple reason why savvy micro-cap investors are developing buy and hold strategies: the promise
    of very large returns on investment. Sometimes you buy into it and if you timed
    it just right, you start to see the price go up sooner rather
    than later. The strength of your own team would mean analysing the strength of
    your economy or company.

3. 3 myths about depression May 27, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Hello, I read your blog on a regular basis. Your writing style is witty, keep up the good work!

4. 4 hypnosis for depression May 21, 2014 at 12:53 am

I every time emailed thks webste post page to all my contacts, because if like to read it then my friends
    will too.

5. 5 stretch mark lotions February 19, 2014 at 2:53 am

Revitol stretch mark prevention annd solution. If you really want to find out the
    truth about this product, simply revitol stretch
    mark prevention cream 1 type its names on a popular search engine.
    Children that are obese may also get stretch marks on every
    person is not going for being stopped with moisturizers and lotions only given that that demandss revitol stretch mark
    prevention cream 1 through numerous facets thaat
    wannts accurate consideration. While Revitol stretch mark cream.
    One of them is Revitol Stretch Mark Cream pozes several advantages over clinical procedures.

6. 6 DermPure Review August 4, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Wonderful site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article?

I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Many thanks!

7. 7 Order meladerm May 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm

These constituents can easily reduce the appearance of hyper pigmentation, age spots, sun damage melasma, acne marks, old scar, dark elbows and uneven skin tone with ease.

8. 8 Adam April 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words knep. Means a lot to us. Makes me smile to hear that you guys still think about him. We do too. Miss you Gary. Will be thinking about you down in Atlanta. Go blue!

9. 9 Larry April 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Nice article and a wonderful organization (Voices Against Brain Cancer) they along with many others raising money to find a cure for brain cancer.

10. 10 Andrew/Panz April 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

That’s good stuff. Miss you, Gary. And yes, Go Blue!

11. 11 pauly s April 4, 2013 at 10:04 am

I’m happy to know we’re all still thinking about Gary all the time. GO BLUE.

12. 12 Steve April 4, 2013 at 8:20 am

Word Pauly Knep. Gary would be proud of this squad. I miss him too.

13. 13 Barry April 3, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Very touching from a good friend.

14. 14 Dan April 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Thanks for the great story of a great friend.