A Tale of Two Buckeyes

Ohio State University head football coach Jim Tressel resigned yesterday amid mounting accusations of violations within the Ohio State program and his role in covering them up. During his ten seasons in Columbus, the man known for his trademark red and gray sweater-vests won a remarkable seven Big Ten titles, the 2002 National Championship and went 9-1 against the Buckeyes’ archrival Michigan. He was a religious man, a father figure to his players and adored by the Buckeye faithful.

Tressel’s predecessor at OSU John Cooper, who was fired after the 2000 season, was despised by OSU alumni for his 2-10-1 record against the Wolverines. Tressel and Cooper’s old nemesis, former Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr recently shed light on the difference between the two men. On May 17th, following an announcement by the National Football Foundation indicating that Carr had been elected to the College Football Hall of Fame, he told Dan Wolken of TheDaily.com, “John Cooper always told me, ‘You know, they may fire me, but they’ll never fire me for cheating.'” Apparently, the mighty sweater-vest didn’t share his convictions.

Below is an audio link to Carr’s comments about Cooper. He also talks about the integrity of his mentor Bo Schembechler and his views on the enforcement of NCAA rules.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “A Tale of Two Buckeyes”

1. 1 akneheidi45.snack.ws September 20, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Here are five places you can advertise your small
    business online for free without actually placing an ad.
    Basically, you can attract traffic by means of online tools like blogs, which will improve your marketing offline.
    Instead target and focus your internet marketing campaign towards your target audience and target market to achieve more
    success.

2. 2 ルイヴィトン バッグ ウエストバッグ リュックサック July 22, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I’ve been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours as of late,
    but I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours.
    It’s pretty worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site
    owners and bloggers made just right content material
    as you probably did, the internet will probably be a lot
    more helpful than ever before.

3. 3 roofing company vancouver May 30, 2014 at 7:42 am

Hellko there! I know this is kinda offf topiic however I’d figured I’d ask.

Would youu be interested in trading links or maybe guest
    writing a blig post or vice-versa? My blog goes ove a lot of the samne subjects as yours
    and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If youu are interested feel free to shoot mee an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by tthe way!

4. 4 Susi July 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Absolutely love the fresh look. I was pleased with the content. Thank you for a quality blog.

5. 5 Steve May 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Death Penalty coming?

6. 6 steverod May 31, 2011 at 8:22 am

a snake shows its true colors

7. 7 Barry K May 31, 2011 at 12:20 am

Paul-
    The quote on your masthead by John Wooden certainly applies to this article about Jim Tressel.